Tuesday, 30 October 2018

Am I Human? Or Am I Teacher?

Nine weeks into the course. Two weeks in a primary school and seven back at uni. Next week, I will start my first “big girl placement”. No half term break. Not even a day off until Christmas. I haven’t had a guilt free nap, shopping spree or Netflix-binge since August.

Kids - don’t do teaching for the holidays.Related image

All jokes aside, I can honestly say that the past few months have been amongst the best of my not-so-young life. I say ‘not-so-young' because I recently overheard a conversation between a few first-year students whose biggest worry was whether or not to pay their TV licence fee. Takes me back...


Related image


Having spent two years out of uni, I was a bit worried that I would have forgotten absolutely everything. Granted I got lost a few times in induction week (having to explain that yes you did go here for undergrad but no you've no idea where to find the School of Social Science building is just a tiiiny bit embarrassing), but overall it wasn't too hard to settle back into the routine again. 

My undergrad degree consisted of about two afternoon lectures a week. This time around it is a lot more intense, with 9am starts and only a brief 30 mins to dash for coffee between classes. 

In a short space of time we have covered everything from lesson planning, subject knowledge, behaviour management, figuring out your own personal style as a teacher, how to be confident in the face of children, how to pretend you know everything about everything and what is the most appropriate way to slate Trump in every single lesson that you teach. 

The days may be long but they are certainly not dreary. Being in quite a small class means that you get to know everyone, and you'll find that a sense of camaraderie develops quickly whilst queueing in Greggs.


Image result for greggs demi lovato memes


At times, you may feel like you know nothing but when a guest speaker comes in and you are able to understand and contribute to the topic at hand, you realise that you have actually absorbed quite a lot. 
Image result for you know nothing

Teaching is something that you definitely need to do for the right reasons. But if you care about young people, your subject and making an impact then don't let all the stuff about the lack of jobs put you off. It is not an easy or straightforward career choice. Looking back at all of the amazing teachers I had over the years, I can't believe the amount of time and energy they must have put into their students. (If they are reading this now and feel like offering any tips, it would be much appreciated 😂)


Image result for professor trelawney
Would love to see Professor Trelawney's medium term plans.

2016 Laura would probably never believe that 2018 Laura would be sat in her room on a Tuesday night, so I guess you could say that the PGCE has really helped me to grow as a person. I feel like I have learnt so much, but also can't believe they are going to let me loose on real-life teenagers in just a few days.


anxiety


Admittedly, I probably will not be updating this blog regularly. I would like to say that it's because I will be so busy writing lesson plans. Realistically I'll be crying in a store cupboard in an undisclosed school in Omagh. 

Truth be told, I am only writing this now because I am procrastinating instead of working on an essay. (I told myself I would not leave everything to the last minute this time around, but old habits die hard). That said, if anyone knows someone who is considering doing TEFL or a PGCE course, please point them in this direction 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment