Thursday, 15 March 2018

Letter From A Little Girl

I see you half one slice of bread  
And pop it in the toaster 
I wonder why you’re doing that 
And follow suit thereafter
I see you plucking at your skin 
Saying how you must get thin 
I ponder why you’re doing that 
But follow suit thereafter
I don’t understand yet 
Why you’re looking in the mirror
Looking at the magazines 
You seem to hate what you see
You don’t like the arms that carry me  
The hands that stroke my hair 
The legs that I hide behind 
When I am sad or scared 
I don’t understand yet
Why you didn’t try my birthday cake
Why you didn’t want a happy meal
Why the dark bread you ate was ‘light’ 
Why you left in the middle of the night 
But soon it will be my whole life 
To pick apart my body  
To measure every gram and ounce 
And want there to be less 
To tell myself I won’t stop til I fit into that dress 
To squeeze in late night workouts 
Amongst other pressures of life
To turn down things I used to love 
In my everlasting attempt 
To improve my reflection. 
Tell me, honestly,
Did you want this to be my lesson? 

No comments:

Post a Comment